Saturday, February 14, 2009

my wow forum contributions

I doubt I'll ever ACTUALLY post anything to the official World of Warcraft forums. As everyone knows, it's pretty much a wretched hive of scum and villainy where you can go to have your hopes crushed and gear picked apart. That's why, since I have high hopes and terrible gear, I shy away from posting. I do, however, enjoy reading them and imagining what I would write in response.

So, I've decided to post that fictional reply here.

This is the original post, which I'll paraphrase as "Why is leveling so boring? What can I do to make it less boring?"

If you read the forums, as I do, you'll recognize that this kind of question appears 15x a day. My response would have been:

From my perspective, I've only leveled two chars to high levels (70 lock, 80 pally), I wouldn't call ALL leveling boring. Yes, I'll agree that it's lame to run through Westfall collecting boar meat and bird eyes or whatever for the 10t time, but I think that leveling in Wrath has been vastly improved and I had a great time (minus all the stupid poop quests) getting to 80. Cutscenes out of nowhere, interacting with major characters, questing that doesn't constantly send you all over the zone delivering mail (seriously, why are we constantly running BS errands like delivering letters... have they seen my freaking 8ft sword... I killed effing Kael'Thas and I'm delivering your message to Jim Nobody across the courtyard? WTF).

As for tips, I started using addons when I got bored with leveling. Started with Cartographer to display the whole map without having to explore (this makes the Explorer title harder though) and moved on to Lightheaded and Questhelper to get me through the rough patches.

It's also possible to avoid a big chunk of leveling by hitting instances hard. Most in BC & WotLK are short, interesting, relatively easy, have good drops, and give good XP as well.

Everyone should play in whatever style makes them happy, but I'm one of the folks that believes in stopping to enjoy some of the story... end game can be a real grind at times, so why rush to get there?


A bit long for the forums, but hey, this is MY blog after all.

Good hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment